Sunday, August 24, 2008

Five Religions You've Never Heard Of

From Beliefnet.com: Five Religions You've Never Heard Of



Yeah, right, if they can name 5 I've never, ever heard of, I'll be surprised...may not know much about, but I'll bet I've heard of them...


Five Religions You've Never Heard Of

Beliefnet Community members represent more than 120 faith traditions. In addition to a wide array of Christian denominations, and major world religions like Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism, we also host faith communities for an astonishing variety of belief systems that are widely practiced and historically grounded... even though you may never have heard of them.

Here are five of our most interesting Beliefnet faith communities, and some of their members to tell you why they chose their faith. Visit them and ask them about their beliefs--they will be happy to answer your questions.

Whatever your beliefs, Beliefnet welcomes you!




Asatru: Faith of the Vikings

Asatru is a modern revival of the beliefs in the ancient Gods of the Germanic and Nordic peoples: Freya, Thor, Odin and others. For many Asatruar, embracing this faith feels like being called home to the way of their ancestors. Although a small number of white supremacists have claimed to follow Asatru, generating controversy in the news, they are not representative of Asatru at large. Following a moral code, Asatruar believe that life is good and should be lived with boldness and enthusiasm, and value courage, honor, industriousness, and personal responsibility. Gathering by "hearths" and "kindreds" they honor the Gods, ancestors, and tribal connections to family and kin.

"Asatru fits like a comfortable pair of jeans. It's intrinsic and natural. The honor code appeals to me as well; chief among these the concept of personal responsibility. I also like the rootedness of it. That being how it connects me to my European and Northern Isles ancestors." --Beliefnet member Rimes_Glimmer

"I was always very fascinated with mythology, especially Norse. I kept on reading and also began to notice my thoughts start to change from 'what a load of...' to 'well that's interesting' and then finally to 'well that's just plain awesome.' I started to get more and more interested in Asatru and eventually found I was calling myself one." --Beliefnet member Jonny

"I will face my challenges with a grin, accept nothing less than victory until death, and face my gods and ancestors secure in the knowledge that I made the most of the life they gave to me, and that my children and neighbors will face less danger and strife for my efforts." --Beliefnet member John_T_Mainer

Visit Beliefnet's Asatru community



Yep, heard about this one, and know a few people who believe in this one.



Sant Mat: Heaven Within


"Kabir" posted by agochar Sant Mat, which means "teachings of the saints," teaches that everything lies inside us and that God is within. Revived in 1891 from a 13th century practice, spreading to North America and Europe in the 1950s-1960s, Sant Mat is a practical path of spiritual self-development based on Sikh traditions, with Sufi influences. Through a simple version of Yoga known as Surat Shabd Yoga, practitioners learn to listen within for the Inner Light and Sound of God. Sant Mat is a solitary practice done in one's own home for 2 1/2 hours each day, while remaining in one's present religion (Sant Mat teaches that all major world religions are rooted in the same Divinity). Followers are strict vegetarians and do not consume alcohol or recreational drugs. Sant Mat emphasizes an ethical lifestyle, selfless service, nonviolence, truthfulness, and love for all.

"I find this approach of inner seeing and hearing to be extremely logical and necessary in order to explore the 'Kingdom of the Heavens that are within' or Inner Space. I am very happy with this direct path to God here and now via contemplative meditation." --Beliefnet member agochar

Visit Beliefnet's Sant Mat community

Okay, so they got me, I have never heard of this one...(above)









Eckankar: Dream Better

Eckankar is an offshoot of Sant Mat, founded by Paul Twitchell in 1965 following his studies with Sant Mat masters from India and Tibet. Like Sant Mat, Eckankar emphasizes meditation to listen to the Inner Light and Sound of God, but also teaches lucid dreaming, past life discovery, and soul travel as ways of hearing God. Eckists describe the Inner Sound as "the voice of God calling us home" and the Inner Light as "a beacon to light our way." Through chanting, contemplation, meditation, singing, trance work and visualization, Eckists seek to reunite the soul with God.

"Eckankar had all the answers that I had found elsewhere, all in a coherent form, consistent with itself so I didn't have to keep changing gears all the time. Eckankar is literally beyond your wildest dreams, because it teaches you how to understand your dreams and to dream better, as it were. It teaches you how to find and listen to the voice of God in your life. What could be more rewarding than that?" --Beliefnet member charlesnotprince

Visit Beliefnet's Eckankar community


Okay, heard of this one (above) but don't know much about.





Ahmadiyya: Heretics or Reformers?

The Ahmadis are a messianic Muslim sect based in Pakistan, with perhaps eight million members in seventy countries. The Ahmadi movement was founded in 1876 by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, a Punjabi Muslim believed by his followers to have been the Mahdi or Messiah, sent to reform and purify Islam. Members of the movement are considered heretics by most Muslims and are barred entry to Mecca. In the Ahmadi version of religious history Jesus escaped from the cross and made his way to India, where he died at the age of 120.

"Our philosophy, attitude and approach towards the spread of our faith is tolerant, progressive, rational, and liberal and meets the needs of our times in the modern age, which allows us to live peacefully among all religions and nations and peoples of the earth." --Beliefnet member Muhammad_Ahmad

"Ahmadiyya is something new, something I enjoy learning about, and teaches many beliefs I hold myself." --Beliefnet member TheMungunjiasticMan

Visit Beliefnet's Ahmadiyya community


Okay, got me again, never heard of this one either, geesh.





Maltheism: God vs. Humanity

Maltheism is the belief that God does exist, and that God is evil. Maltheists see God as the true spiritual enemy of humanity, and oppose God because of this. The Maltheist movement was founded by Paul Zimmerman, who was active on Beliefnet until his death in 2003. His motto was "God against Humanity: choose a side!" Maltheists believe the most important thing is how we treat each other as human beings, and support the self-empowerment of the human race.

"I think living in a world where we get to define the meaning and purpose of our lives is something extremely positive that generates hope, not hopelessness." --Beliefnet member Maltheist (Paul Zimmerman)

"I came to believe in God through a personal spiritual experience, and came to hate God through personal hardships, tragedies and disappointments. I wish there were a benevolent God who wanted happiness for the human race, but experience tells me that God is really a egomaniacal control freak who craves worship and suffering... We are simply a group of people who share a negative view of God." --Beliefnet member Mohanchous

"Maltheism allows me to criticize and question God. Maltheism allows me to consider myself a imperfect but still valuable decent human being. I can reject completely the label that I am a worthless sinner who deserves eternal damnation. Maltheism makes more sense of the condition of the world and the nature of religious conflict than anything else to me." --Beliefnet member Whichone

Visit Beliefnet's Maltheism community

Never heard of this one either, but geesh, really?


Okay, so I really knew of 1.5...amazing.

No comments: