Friday, July 11, 2008

Bit of a Rant on my part

Okay, I've been reading some of the posts on sites and blogs linked to this blog, as well as watching some news stories lately, and I have one question:::

Have we all gone completely nuts?

I read about one woman who partook of Holy Communion to honor the memory of a friend, and it seems that the world wants to take her apart because she wasn't Catholic. Now I know, full well being raised Catholic, that it is one of their no-no's. If you aren't of the faith, you mayn't partake. The Anglicans have no problem with sharing, neither do some other paths, and this is one of the "laws" that always confused and pissed me off about the church. (Amongst others)

Then in some groups I have lately left, many pagans continue to be anti-judeo/christian. Especially the Christian part. And when I say "anti" it is so vehement and nasty it really harkens back to the inquisition to me. If you don't hold as I hold, your evil and don't deserve to live or have any respect.

Now, any kind of out and out bigotry really burns my butt. (I really am trying to watch my language) We all have our own "laws" we retain and hold true. And many of them are very universal. But to deny others of the same respect that you yourself would like is such a hypocritical thing to do. And honestly, it makes me want to wallop you (general you, not specific you) upside the head. A good swift kick in the butt. Hard.

I walked away from the Church due to some acting in such a hypocritical way. Some of the tenets of the Christian church are quite frankly uncomfortable for me. But at no time am I "anti-christian". I am and will continue to be "anti" fanatical/rabid fundamentalist narrow-minded behavior. And that is across the board, christian, jewish, muslim, pagan (euro-centered), buddhist, hindu, etc. Anyone who professes an "I'm right, You're wrong" type of attitude will not receive respect from me past the basic civilities.

I personally am not a follower of any ONE path, though I am narrowing my search quite severely. I have studied, not in any hallowed academic hall, but of my own accord and effort, so many different paths of spiritual faith that I truly, at the core, see not much difference. The core of nearly all faiths is the same. And to couch in a phrase most know it revolves around "Do unto others as you would have done unto you", Or in eastern terms "right thought, right actions, etc".

Currently I am being led to judaism and before. And the similarities between judaic belief and zoroastrianism. But along the way, I've discovered an albeit small section of jews who are reclaiming an even older path. This truly appeals to me. That along with a strong "shamanic" tug of my ancestral roots and a little eastern thought, is where my attention is focused. I will continue to research global "mythologies" as I have been interested, almost obsessively so, since childhood. (Ironically, since my time at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Elementary School, where I was introduced to Greco/Roman, Egyptian and Meso-American mythos. Little did the Sisters know what they had started)

You want to know what else is ironic, nearly funny? As I have been on this spiritual quest, and as I learn about various paths, the church (a catholic church in N.E. Atlanta) that my mom attends has incorporated eastern thought, she also has become interested, via her bosses, in judaism. But my mom has NEVER been closed minded about religion and made sure to expose us to different ones, or at least to not close the door on any. (Except maybe some of the more hard-line ones, which she really has no use for and can hold her own against in a confrontation...which I can't seem to do. My blood pressure rises to the point that my face turns red, even if I don't say a word. Looks like my mom when she has a hot flash, LOL. And if you know my mom, who has vitiligo (sp) and no pigment in her skin, when she has a hot flash she looks like she is going to pop her top---beet red, she turns!)

Okay, I think I'm off my rant for just a bit.

No comments: